Monday, July 11, 2011

How I make soap with coconut milk

I love using milks in my soap recipes, especially coconut milk. It not only provides extra moisturizing qualities and creaminess, but also makes a bar that produces super bubbly lather, probably due to the sugars found in coconut milk. There are a few ways to incorporate milks into your recipe, here's how I do it.

You can use any recipe that you are already using, just replace half the water with coconut milk. The batch that I'm making calls for 29 ounces of water, so instead I measure out 14 ounces of coconut milk, and 14 ounces of water. Here are the steps I take to make coconut milk soap.

As always I measure out my oils and melt them.

   
Next I mix my lye into the 14 oz of water. (most of which is ice)


After both the oils and the lye solution have cooled down to about 110' I add my fragrance/essential oil to the oils, (I'm using coconut lime verbena) then I add my lye solution. (pouring slowly to prevent air bubbles)


Now I'll stick blend it just a bit, till I reach a thin trace.


With such a water discount it won't take long to reach trace. Now I add the 14 oz of coconut milk to the mix.


After incorporating the milk completely the only thing left to do is color if desired and pour into your mold. If you like to prevent gel like I do, you better grab the fans quick, as the sugars in coconut milk will cause this batch to heat up pretty quick. Good Luck! 

2 comments:

  1. Some people mix the ice and lye to cool off faster buy I prefer to do the old fashioned way waiting .. but is a great tip for the ones in rush

    ReplyDelete