Saturday, July 30, 2011

Making Pumpkin Spice soap

As you probably guessed from the name, two things that this soap contains are pumpkin and spice. As with most of the soaps I do, my base oils are pretty much the same, I only need to make a few minor adjustments to create a spicy, fragrant bar that's too good to only make in the Fall. Since I'll be using 12 ounces of pumpkin, I discount my water for that amount and begin as usual mixing my lye water into my oils.
At light trace I add the 12 ounces of pumpkin.
(I used canned but it must be pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix)
I blend that completely in and add my fragrance oils. Then pour a small amount into a separate bowl where I've added 2 T of cinnamon to an ounce of warm avocado oil.
Blend in completely.
Then pour the spice part back into the pumpkin part in two-three spots. 
Then stir the pot 1-2 turns to get a nice swirl.
Now it's ready to be poured in the mold.
I normally gel this one because it's hard to avoid with the spices in there, but I wanted to try a sculpted top this time so I sat it over a vent with fan on it. It turned out pretty good. I love the Autumn orange color that you get naturally from the pumpkin, and the aroma is a "hit" year-'round.


1 comment: