Sunday, July 24, 2011

My coconut lime embeds

I like trying new techniques, and things I've seen others do. I've done embeds a few times some shining examples are my soap ball embeds:
But I wanted to do something a little different, I was shooting for more of a layered look, this is what I got:
First I'll share how I did it then I'll tell you what I'd do differently next time. :) I started by cutting cubes of white soap, then making a batch of soap as I normally would. I poured off about a third of the batch in a seperate bowl and added color and fragrance to each.
Then I poured the brown part into the mold and topped it with the white cubes.
Then I carefully poured in the green remaining 2/3.
And sculpted the top a little.
It turned out ok, but it could have been better. Next time I'll make two seperate (small) batches because when you make one batch and split it, you can't wait for the bottom layer to set before pouring the top layer, because your top layer is getting thicker every second waiting. I also think it would have looked better if I had used white "rods" instead of cubes, as some bars don't appear to have as many white cubes in them. But that's how we learn, through trial and error, and it's kind of fun experimenting. :)

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever make homemade laundry detergent with your soaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do make laundry detergent Becky, using normally a plain bar with borax and washing soda. I want to try dishwasher detergent next I've been scoping out some good looking recipes.

    ReplyDelete