Friday, July 22, 2011

Making coffee soap

Coffee soap makes for a great hand scrub, and since coffee is a natural deodorizer I always keep a bar at my kitchen sink, because it's great for removing odors such as onion, garlic and even fish from your hands. Coffee soap can be made by using your favorite soap recipe, but making just a few minor changes. To begin with you want to start with some fresh brewed, strong coffee in place of the water you normally use. I try to at least partially freeze mine to keep it from overheating too bad when you add the lye to it. The only other changes you might want to make is adding the coffee grounds at trace. I also like to add cocoa to mine, so it ends up nice and dark.  Here's some pictures of how I do it.
First wait till your coffee lye and oils are cooled to about 115 degrees.

Then slowly add the coffee lye to the oils...and blend.
When it comes to trace I like to add my fragance oils, cocoa powder that has been blended into about 2 oz of avocado oil, and grounds.
Then stir till completely blended.


Pour into mold and allow to set till the following day.

 Here's how mine looked all sliced up. It will get darker as it cures. By the end of a 4-6 week cure my bars are usually almost black. Not to worry the lather is white. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment